Skip to main content
The European High Performance Computing Joint Undertaking (EuroHPC JU)
Call for proposalsOpen

Acquisition, Delivery, Installation and Hardware and Software Maintenance of mid-range Supercomputer DAEDALUS in Greece

The EuroHPC JU has launched a call for tender for the procurement of a mid-range supercomputer capable of executing more than 60 petaflops or 60 million billion calculations per second and located in Athens, Greece. 


Publication date
25 June 2024
Opening date
Deadline model
Deadline date
2 September 2024, 12:00 (CEST)


The system will be managed and operated by GRNET S.A. the National Infrastructures for Research and Technology, in Athens, Greece. It will be installed in the new data centre located in the building of the former Power Station of the Lavrion Technological Cultural Park of the National Technical University of Athens.  

The EuroHPC JU will select the successful tenderer in order to acquire, deliver, install and maintain this new mid-range high-end supercomputer. Therefore, the prospective contractors should have proven experience of acquiring, delivering, installing and maintaining supercomputers in similar environments as the ones required in this procurement procedure. 

The new system should allow the efficient execution of many concurrently running computing tasks in all phases of their lifecycle, and all different types of tasks for a wide range of applications and users. The system should provide a transparent, unified, shared user environment, and unified access to all different computing and storage resources. 

The estimated total value for this procurement call is EUR 36 million. The EuroHPC JU will fund 35% of the total cost of the new system, while the other 65% will be funded by the National Recovery and Resilience Plan ‘Greece 2.0’. Cyprus, Montenegro and North Macedonia are also involved in the project as members of the DAEDALUS consortium.

The high-performance computing system will be implemented in two main phases:

During “Phase A: Implementation of DAEDALUS supercomputer” the DAEDALUS supercomputer will be implemented which will be a complete supercomputing system. “Phase A” will be financed by the Recovery and Resilience Fund and by the Public Investment Program in the amount of €29,200,000.00 including VAT. [Budget without VAT: €23,548,387.10, VAT: €5,651,612.90].

During “Phase B: DAEDALUS supercomputer upgrade” the DAEDALUS supercomputer will be upgraded with the funding of the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking, with a maximum amount of €12,679,900.75 excluding VAT, in order to achieve or even surpass the goal of achieving the processing power of 60PFlops.

The duration of the contract implementation is set at twelve (12) months from its signature. The duration of guaranteed operation (good operation warranty period) is set at five (5) years from the successful completion of the project.

The contract will be awarded on the basis of the most economically advantageous offer, based on the best quality-price ratio.

Bids are submitted by interested parties electronically, via the Online Portal of Electronic Public Contracts (Public Tender code: 352893).

The deadline for receipt of offers is Monday, 2 September 2024 at 12:00 p.m.

More details